Here is an outline of the public agenda and reports for the October 7, 2014 board meeting.
– Lighthouse Award: This award is presented monthly to recognize various partnership organizations that provide services or supports to CBE students.
– Monitoring of policy OE-3: Treatment of Owners (pg. 6-1 to 6-12). “The Chief Superintendent shall maintain an organizational culture that treats all organization owners with respect, dignity and courtesy.” The Chief Superintendent has found this policy to be in compliance with the exception of two of the fifteen indicators.
– Trustee Liaison Report: Calgary Association of Parents & School Councils (CAPSC) (pg. 7-32 to 7-42). The Board will be considering whether to approve $3,000 in funding for CAPSC. This was postponed from the June 17, 2014 board meeting in order to gather more information. The Board is also being asked to consider creating a letter of understanding with CAPSC in order to clarify the relationship between the CBE, Trustees and CAPSC.
– New School, Modernization and Modular Ranking Criteria (pg. 7-1 to 7-31). Starting in May, 2014, the CBE has sought public feedback regarding how major CBE construction projects should be prioritized when making our capital requests to the provincial government. This feedback was gathered through online engagements, in-person focus groups, and an open house. The Board is now being asked to approve the criteria and methodology used to rank future capital requests to the province.
The following reports are on the “Consent Agenda” which means that they become part of the public record, but are not discussed during the board meeting. All motions for action items on the consent agenda are unanimously approved unless a trustee “pulls” the item off of the consent agenda for a vote.
– Disposition of Reserve Lands – Tuscany (pg. 8-13 to 8-20). The City of Calgary has requested that 1.5 acres of a future school site in Tuscany be used for the development of a community fire station.
– EducationMatters Financial Statements as at July 31, 2014 (pg. 8-27 to 8-37). The Board requests quarterly reporting from EducationMatters, a charitable trust set up to benefit CBE students.
– Chief Superintendent’s Update (pg. 8-21 to 8-26). This update is a quarterly report regarding the CBE’s progress in addressing records management and retention issues.
– Trustee Liaison Report – Alberta School Boards Association (ASBA) Board of Directors (pg. 8-8 to 8-12). This report contains highlights of the ASBA Board of Directors meetings, including advocacy plans.
Trustees will be moving in-camera following this public portion.
You can watch the proceedings in person at the Education Centre (1221 – 8 St. SW) or online either live, or through the video recording posted within a few days of the meeting. All board meetings begin at noon.
- Sep. 16, 2014 Board Meeting
- September school newsletters