Here is an outline of the public agenda and reports for the October 28, 2014 board meeting.
– Lighthouse Award: This award is presented monthly to recognize various partnership organizations that provide services or supports to CBE students.
– Campus Calgary/Open Minds Presentation: Campus Calgary/Open Minds allows students to spend a week learning in one of ten locations around Calgary. Last year 6600 students participated.
– Monitoring of policy OE-4: Treatment of Employees (pg. 6-1 to 6-14). “The Chief Superintendent shall ensure the recruitment, employment, development, evaluation and compensation of the organization’s employees in a manner necessary to enable the organization to achieve its Results policies.” The Chief Superintendent has found this policy to be in compliance with the exception of four of the thirteen policy subsections.
– Monitoring of policy OE-10: Instructional Program (pg. 6-15 to 6-28). “The Chief Superintendent shall maintain a program of instruction that offers challenging and relevant opportunities for all students to achieve at levels defined in the Board’s Results policies.” The Chief Superintendent has found this policy to be in compliance.
The following reports are on the “Consent Agenda” which means that they become part of the public record, but are not discussed during the board meeting. All motions for action items on the consent agenda are unanimously approved unless a trustee “pulls” the item off of the consent agenda for a vote.
– Board of Trustees’ Annual Self-Evaluation (pg. 8-29 to 8-31). The Board conducted a self-evaluation of the Governance Culture and Board/Chief Superintendent Relationship Governance Policies on September 17, 2014. There are six recommendations for action or improvement in the report.
– Board Representation on the Trustee Remuneration Committee (pg. 8-18). Due to the resignation of Trustee Taylor who was the committee chair, it is recommended that I be appointed as the committee chair and Trustee King be appointed to the committee.
– Proposed Revisions to the Terms of Reference for the Strategic Dialogue and Public Engagement Committee (pg. 8-16 to 8-17). Two of the bullets regarding researching practices regarding student voice were removed. Note that connecting with students is still part of the terms of reference in the first bullet point.
– Official correspondence sent by the Board of Trustees (pg. 8-11 to 8-15).
– Construction projects status report (pg. 8-1 to 8-10). The CBE also has a website devoted to construction projects which is updated regularly.
Trustees will be moving in-camera following this public portion.
You can watch the proceedings in person at the Education Centre (1221 – 8 St. SW) or online either live, or through the video recording posted within a few days of the meeting. All board meetings begin at noon.
- Oct. 14, 2014 Board Meeting
- Nov. 4, 2014 Board Meeting