Here is an outline of the public agenda and reports for the January 13, 2015 board meeting.
– School Presentation: Royal Oak School
– Monitoring of Policy OE-6: Financial Administration (pg. 6-1 to 6-15). “The Chief Superintendent shall not cause or allow any financial activity or condition that materially deviates from the budget adopted by the Board; cause or allow any fiscal condition that is inconsistent with achieving the Board’s Results or meeting any Operational Expectations goals; or places the long-term financial health of the organization in jeopardy.” Trustees had the opportunity to ask questions about this report at the last board meeting and will decide at this meeting whether or not the CBE is in compliance with the policy.
The following reports are on the “Consent Agenda” which means that they become part of the public record, but are not discussed during the board meeting. All motions for action items on the consent agenda are unanimously approved unless a trustee “pulls” the item off of the consent agenda for a vote.
– Monitoring of Policy OE-7: Asset Protection (pg. 6-16 to 6-28). “The Chief Superintendent will ensure that all organizational assets are adequately protected, properly maintained, appropriately used and not placed at undue risk.” The motion is that this policy is in compliance.
– Revised Indicators for Results 3, 4 and 5 (pg. 6-30 to 6-35). Due to the common K-9 report card that is now being used, the indicators that were previously separated for Kindergarten and then for Gr. 1-9 students, have been combined.
– Roster for Second Vice-Chair (pg. 6-56). Due to the resignation of Sheila Taylor as trustee, there is a vacancy in the position of second vice-chair for the months of March and April. The motion is that I be the second vice-chair for March and that Trustee Stewart take that position in April.
– Chief Superintendent’s Update (pg. 6-36 to 6-42). This report includes updates on the four objectives of the CBE’s Three Year Education Plan:
– Personalize Learning: New high school course guides are being used to help students understand the opportunities and supports available to them within the CBE. The number off campus course completions (Work Experience, Registered Apprenticeship Program and Green Certificate) increased by 60% from the 2012-13 school year to the 2013-14 school year. There were 5,102 students who completed a course during summer school, with an increasing number of students wanting to supplement their program by taking courses in advance of the school year.
– Build Professional Capital: School leadership is being supported and strengthened through monthly system meetings with different groups. Dr. Dianne Roulson (Director, Learning Services) spoke at the 2014 International Forum on Future Educators in Tianjin, China in December. Lori Cooper (Consultant, Leadership and Learning) completed her Doctor of Education in December.
– Engage Our Public: The Administrative Regulation regarding “Concerns and Complaints” (AR 5008) has been revised. Kindergarten registration began on January 12, 2015. The school calendars for next year (2015-16) have been finalized (with most schools starting the school year on Tuesday, September 1, 2015).
– Steward Our Resources: The CBE will provide feedback to the province on the 16 new proposed regulations of the Education Act before the deadline of January 31. Last year, 25 schools (10 regular, 15 alternative) used a lottery to determine admittance. In the end 2,469 students (1,254 regular, 1,215 alternative) were not successful and were designated to another CBE school. This year, it is anticipated that 28 schools will need to utilize the lottery process.
– Construction Projects Status Report (pg. 6-43 to 6-55). The CBE also has a website devoted to construction projects which is updated regularly.
You can watch the proceedings in person at the Education Centre (1221 – 8 St. SW) or online either live, or through the video recording posted within a few days of the meeting. All board meetings begin at noon.
- Jan. 13, 2015 Board Meeting
- Feb. 3, 2015 Board Meeting