Here is an outline of the public agenda and reports for the January 20, 2015 board meeting.
– School Presentation: Highwood School
– Monitoring of policy R-3: Citizenship (pg. 4-1 to 4-23). “Each student will be a responsible citizen.” Trustees had the opportunity to ask questions about this report at the last board meeting and will decide at this meeting whether or not the CBE is in compliance with the policy.
– Proposed Revisions to Board Governance Policies (pg. 5-17 to 5-24). Slight revisions to policies regarding the Governance Culture (GC) and Board/Chief Superintendent Relationship (B/CSR) are being proposed. The policies affected are GC-4 (Officers’ Roles), GC-5 (Board Committees), GC-7 (Board Members’ Code of Conduct), and B/CSR-4: (Authority of the Chief Superintendent).
The following reports are on the “Consent Agenda” which means that they become part of the public record, but are not discussed during the board meeting. All motions for action items on the consent agenda are unanimously approved unless a trustee “pulls” the item off of the consent agenda for a vote.
– Monitoring of policy OE-12: Facilities (pg. 5-1 to 5-16). “The Chief Superintendent shall ensure that physical facilities support the accomplishment of the Board’s Results policies.” Again, questions about this report were asked at the last board meeting. The motion is that this policy is in compliance.
– Correspondence (pg. 6-1 to 6-2). Official correspondence from Education Minister, Gordon Dirks, approving a mechanical upgrade at Ernest Morrow School.
– Chief Superintendent’s Update (pg. 6-3 to 6-8). This report includes updates on the four objectives of the CBE’s Three Year Education Plan:
– Personalize Learning: Four different initiatives are highlighted to improve success for Aboriginal students. Students who were impacted by the failure of provincial IT systems during their English diploma exam can apply for a partial exemption or re-write the exam in April or June.
– Build Professional Capital: System and school leaders attended a half-day session on improving success for Aboriginal students..
– Engage Our Public: The Curriculum Prototyping consortium has submitted its final report to the province..
– Steward Our Resources: The CBE has partnered with the Calgary Public Library to distribute free library cards to all CBE students and staff. The Calgary Police Services have transitioned to a new electronic police information check that will be in use for volunteers and new staff. An update on the work of the C2 committee to look at reducing teacher workload is provided. In future years, report card comments and evaluations in the areas of Citizenship, Personal Development and Character will only be done for the June report card.
– Construction Projects Status Report (pg. 6-9 to 6-21). The CBE also has a website devoted to construction projects which is updated regularly.
– Trustee Liaison Report – ASBA Zone 5 (pg. 6-22 to 6-40). The minutes of the Alberta School Boards Association (ASBA) Zone 5 meetings from September through December 2015 are provided.
You can watch the proceedings in person at the Education Centre (1221 – 8 St. SW) or online either live, or through the video recording posted within a few days of the meeting. All board meetings begin at noon.
- Feb. 3, 2015 Board Meeting
- Mar. 3, 2015 Board Meeting